Waist training has been in practice since the early centuries. Hence, looking at history, it is clear that waist trainers do not affect an individual’s fertility. Various external and internal factors influence the ability to reproduce among men and women. However, it is safe to say that waist trainer does not make it to that list.
Furthermore, there is still no scientific study that condemns waist training as a cause of infertility.
Can I wear a waist trainer during the early pregnancy days?
Although waist trainers do not affect fertility, it is wise to avoid wearing them during the early stages of pregnancy. There are possibilities of it affecting the development of the fetus. However, you can make optimum use of it during postpartum. During this stage, it is common for the body to swell. Hence, you will find the waist trainer beneficial.
What are the risks of waist training?
Waist training may not cause infertility. However, it is undeniable that it can cause long-term problems to the body. Hence, before you decide to add waist training as a part of your lifestyle, here are some risks you should be aware of:
- Weakens core muscles: The core muscles provide balance and stability to the body. However, waist training degrades the quality of the core muscles by taking over their function.
When you wear a waist trainer, it becomes responsible for maintaining the position of the abdomen. It doesn’t allow the core muscles to work, and the muscles then gradually weaken.
- Displaces organs: According to an article in the USA Today, several doctors and health experts warn about the damage waist trainers can have on the organs. X-rays of dislocated organs and damaged ribs are some of the evidence used by the experts to expose the harms associated with waist training.
- Affects respiratory function: Waist training involves compressing and reforming the body’s mid-section to a certain shape. So, it comes as no surprise that it can affect the breathing conditions of the individual. And according to a post by ABCS, waist training can even alarmingly lower the lung capacity to up to 60%.
How to use a waist trainer effectively?
To steer clear from the dangers associated with wearing waist trainers, you should know how to use them to your advantage.
- Maintain breaks to avoid wearing the waist trainer throughout the day.
- Do not sleep with the trainer compressing your abdomen.
- Do not use waist trainers that are too small for your size. Purchase only those that are fitting, not straining.
- Avoid wearing them while exercising.